Nathan gives solo recitals of repertoire from the Germanic Classical and Romantic tradition, as well as 20th century and contemporary music, with a particular focus on British and American composers. Nathan has performed at many of the world’s leading venues and festivals and worked alongside numerous living composers in performances of their work.
His recordings for SOMM Recordings and Lyrita Recorded Edition, both solo and collaborative, have been widely acclaimed. Since 2016 Nathan has also been a member of the renowned new music ensemble Piano Circus.
2023 will see the launch of a new CD of piano music by Malcolm Lipkin. Nathan has recorded his collection of Eight Nocturnes, as well as two virtuosic and dramatic Piano Sonatas. All are premiere recordings. Click here to learn more about the colourful, quixotic music by this little known master of the keyboard.
2023 will see the release of the premiere recording of Christopher Brown’s epic 24 Preludes and Fugues, a monumental work of 2 and a half hours duration. This project was begun before the lockdown and comes to triumphant fruition next year to coincide with Chris Brown’s 80th birthday celebrations.
- Thomas Pitfield’s First Piano Concerto with the Prometheus Orchestra and conductor Matthew Andrews, Aldeburgh, Sunday 9th October. Click here to read Nathan’s blog on Pitfield and this fascinating work.
- Performances at the Carwithen Festival, celebrating the centenary of Doreen Carwithen, as well as a feature on Radio 3’s In Tune. Carwithen was also subject of a Radio 3 ‘Composer of the Week’ series in November 2022, with several of Nathan’s recordings featured – click here to listen via the Radio 3 website.
- Recitals with tenor James Gilchrist, baritone Neal Davies and violinist Rupert Marshall-Luck at recent English Music Festival events, in Truro, 1901 Arts Club, and St. Mary’s Church, Horsham.
- The Art of British Song’s ‘Salon Recital Series’, presenting song recitals in more intimate, domestic settings, hosted concerts at Penn House, Buscot Park and London’s Savile Club in April and May 2022. The theme will continue with the performance of Grey and Green are all my Light at Reydon Hall, Suffolk, April 2023.
- Three volumes of 100 Years of British Song, ‘the intriguing three-part exploration of British classical songs’ (Sunday Times) for SOMM Recordings with tenor James Gilchrist, have now been launched to critical acclaim. To listen, purchase, and learn more about this project please click here.
- At the 10th and final Alwyn Music Festival in October 2021 Nathan performed Dvorak’s Piano Quintet with the Gildas Quartet, and gave performances of two piano works with Alexander Karpeyev, including a world premiere
- Throughout the covid pandemic Nathan collaborated with violinists Magnus and Marije Johnston on various live music events in Southwold. They staged performances outdoors in Southwold in summer 2020 and, in the winter of 2020/21, in Southwold’s St. Edmund’s Church. They also streamed music live regularly into local schools and care homes.
- Other online/lockdown recitals included City Music Live, Music in Action, and the Delius Society.
- Nathan celebrated Beethoven’s 250th anniversary in 2020 with performances of all the Beethoven concertos at Aldeburgh with the Prometheus Orchestra and conductor Edmond Fivet.