Two new works for 2023:
Quartet Black, Nathan’s new commission for the Aldeburgh Festival 2023Aldeburgh Festival 2023, will be premiered by the Heath Quartet on Sunday 25th June. Nathan describes the work as ‘a deeply personal work, juxtaposing consonance and dissonance, darkness and light, tenderness and rage, in a heady cocktail of extremes’.
Nathan is writing a blog on the work in the lead-up to the premiere, which can be found on this site – the first part is here and subsequent posts can be found via the news section of the homepage. Click here for details of the live premiere at the 2023 Aldeburgh Festival.
Grey and Green are all my Light, a song cycle for baritone and piano, setting texts by Robert Jellicoe, commissioned by Emmeline and James Winterbotham, was premiered by New Zealand baritone Jonathan Eyres, with the composer at the piano, on Saturday 15th April at Reydon Hall, Suffolk. Robert Jellicoe‘s poetry features in his recent book ‘Shorelines’, which documents first-hand accounts of sea-faring and fishing around the town of Southwold. These thrilling, sometimes amusing, but more often tragic, stories moved Jellicoe to write his own poetry as prefaces to different chapters in his history – it is these which Nathan has set in his new song cycle.
Other recent news:
- A recording of The Little That Was Once a Man, a song-cycle for voice and piano setting texts by Bryan Heiser, is now available on SOMM Recordings’ Volume III of ‘100 Years of British Song’, performed by James Gilchrist and the composer.
- Nathan’s reflective and whimsical Intermezzo for solo piano is also included on this volume as a ‘bonus track’ – click here to hear this work performed live from recording sessions.
- Both Intermezzo and Dreams, short works for solo piano, will be published and available for download from this website in 2023.
- Nathan is also finalising scores of Endings (2001) for violin and piano, as well as an arrangement of Homecoming (2007) for two violins.
- Crystal (2020) premiered by the Rossetti Ensemble at the Alwyn Music Festival, October 2021: Musical Opinion described the work as ‘the highlight of the Festival…’ Click here for more information.
A full catalogue of Nathan’s compositions can be browsed here or via the ‘Works’ button in the menu above.
For any questions about Nathan’s work, or to order copies of scores or recordings please do feel free to contact us.